Wednesday, September 4, 2013

some like it hot! spicy mexican red chili

Before my vegan days I loved making Red Chili!!   My husband would beg for me to make it on weekends, and it was that great dish you could throw together in the morning and eat later that evening. I haven't missed the "meat" in the dish - just that yummy spicy flavor.

I thought it was time to make a vegan version of it and DANG it turned out great!!  My husband gave it two thumbs up and said best ever (love that man!). You can make this as spicy as you want or more on the mild side.  The chipotle peppers add a lot of punch and less is always more.  The Red Chili Sauce can be bought in Mild/Medium/Hot, we normally like Medium, so buy at the temperature you like.  The chili can also be thickened up as needed using masa flour and water (mix together and then mix into chili).

Sorry, for the poor photo but we were so hungry that I totally forgot to take a photo before I started eating!!  LOL!


Spicy Mexican Red Chili


Ingredients
2 packs of Tempeh, diced
1 Large Onion, diced
2 Chipotle Peppers, diced
1 Large Can Red Chili Sauce (Enchilada sauce)
1 Can Green Chilies, diced
1 T. Cumin
1 T. Garlic Powder

In crock pot mix all ingredients together and cook on low for 2 hours.  Scoop up into whole wheat tortillas and roll into burritos and top with avocados if desired.

Over the holiday weekend I made the best roasted vegetable lasagna EVER and will be sharing that in an upcoming blog post.

Over the weekend the husband and I decided it was time to get back on track with our eating again.  We have been a little sloppy adding vegan bar food back in and BEER.  Time to clean up and start feeling better. Now if the heat would go away so we could spend more time outdoors - then I would be running again!

I am 100% vegan and committed to that - it's the exercise that I have a hard time still committing to.  Do you have this issue, or is it the other way around for you?

I had planned this last weekend to make a travel dog bed for Prada, just something small to keep in the car and have for outings.  While at TJ Max I found a great buy on a cool travel bed that folds up into like a sleeping bag carrier and ONLY $14.  When I got home and opened it up I thought maybe it was too small, but in less than two seconds Prada was sound asleep on it - then I couldn't get her off of it the rest of the day!  LOL!  She really does fit on the pillow, but she always has the best pillow fails and ends up like she does in the photo.  Anyways, I figured this was a great buy at $14 and saved me at lot of DIY time.

Happy hump-day!  Keep it healthy and fun!!  :)

3 comments:

  1. i like that the chili is simple - i like my food super hot!

    i love bringing home things for my cat to flop on. it is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog, and I must say, that picture of you with your two dogs is adorable! I love puppehs!!!
    Thanks for the chili recipe! It looks good (and simple, always a plus!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like slow cooker recipes - this sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    I do good with my daily 3.5 mile walk but not so good with strength training - I do it for a while then I start finding excuses not to work out. I do pretty well with the food part but sometimes I get a little too snacky!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)