Friday, September 6, 2013

vegan sweet potato crackers with a side of hummus

Yesterday when I got home from work I was craving my spicy hot chipotle hummus I had made, yet....I was out of chips or crackers to enjoy with it.  Carrots?  Yes, I could have had a few of those but I wanted crackers!!  The pantry was getting  little thin and I was out of Chick Peas to make my normal go-to crackers.  What's a girl to do?  Hummm....search the internet!!  I found a recipe using a potato, however there was not a regular potato to be found.  WAIT, one sad little sweet potato called out, "Use me!" and that is exactly what this redhead did!

 

Vegan Sweet Potato Crackers



Original Recipe: Vegan Richa

Ingredients:1 small Sweet Potato, microwaved until cooked
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder

1 T. Hemp Seeds
2-3 teaspoons Water (more if needed)

Method:Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Mash the potato in a large bowl. Stir in whole wheat flour, salt, spices, hemp seeds, baking powder and mix it into a crumbly mixture.  Add a teaspoon of water at a time to make a soft dough. Water needed will depend on the moisture content of the potato and flour used. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.

Place the dough on parchment and press a bit with your hand. Dust flour on top and roll it out with "light" pressure into as thin as possible. (Keep dusting more flour to avoid dough sticking to the rolling pin and breaking apart). Cut the rolled out dough using pizza cutter into squares or diamonds. Use a fork to prick a few holes in the dough.

Place parchment on baking sheet and Bake in preheated 370 degrees F for 15 minutes.Take the crackers out, break them apart, flip over and bake for another 8-15 minutes until crisp to touch.

Cool and store in airtight container.

These really turned out good!  The key is to roll very thin and cook until well done.  The more they were cooked the crispier they were.

Spicy HOT Chipotle Hummus (oil free)


Ingredients

2 15.5 Cans of Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed
2-3 Chipotle Peppers (more or less as needed)
1 T. Soy Sauce (low sodium)
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Red Pepper Flakes
1 T. Cumin
 Vegetable Broth (or water)  as needed


Using a Vitmix or food processor, add drained chick peas, Chipotle Peppers, soy sauce, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, cumin and blend.  Add vegetable broth (or water) as needed to make smooth.  Refrigerate for two hours.


Weekend To Do
I know it's 113 degrees here, but dude -I am ready for Fall!!  Yes, Pumpkin Spiced Lattes are out and the decorations at the craft stores are killing me!  My plan for the weekend is to bring down the fall decorations and make the house into a Fall paradise!!  May have to crank the AC down, but I'm doing it!!  Last year I bought new decorations and cannot for the life of me remember what all I have lol.  I'm sure I will be hitting a craft store or two this weekend for a few more item.

My other "To Do" figure out how to make Prada a jacket(s)!!  She came with one, so I am hoping I can use that as a pattern and make a few on my own.  I am in the mood to break out the sewing machine and "make" something!  I would love to work on the new dog bed, but that will just have to wait until it cools off a bit.

Let's get this weekend rolling!!

 


2 comments:

  1. Yum, as someone who is blogging hummus for Vegan MoFo, I am totally looking for something else to eat it with. These crackers look divine.

    And I love chipotle in my hummus too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those crackers sound so tasty! I'd really like to give them a shot :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)