Tuesday, June 11, 2013

chipotle mac & chesses with roasted brussel sprouts and some redhead chatter

Last night I tired out a new recipe for a vegan Chipotle Mac & Cheese with Roasted Brussel Sprouts, in the past I had great success with another recipe, but I am always up for trying something new. I love when I am at work and talk about making Mac & Cheese for dinner and I get, "What do you do for the cheese?" It is beyond amazing that you can MAKE cheese from cashews and when I tell them this they don't believe me.  LOL! I have also discovered that most people do not like the taste of Brussel Sprouts, but I guess since I was not subjected to them as a kid I really don't mind them at all.  The original recipe says to drizzle them with olive oil before roasting, but I cooked mine on parchment paper without the olive oil and they turned out great! I have to say it was a VERY easy recipe and did not take much time at all. I doubled the recipe as well so we would have some left overs for the week.  Here is the recipe for Post Punk Kitchen:

Serves 4
Total time: 30 minutes || Active time: 15 minutes


8 oz macaroni (gluten-free, whole wheat, or any type)
1 lb brussels, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
(I skipped this and cooked on Parchment Paper)
For the sauce:
1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
4 chipotles, seeded
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons miso (I used chickpea miso) (I skipped this and used lemon juice and a little mustard)
Salt to taste

1 can of diced green chilies (I added this)

Preheat the oven to 425 F for the brussels, and prepare a pot of salted water for the pasta. In the meantime, prep the brussels and make the sauce.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the quartered brussel sprouts with olive oil and a dash of salt. Bake for 18 minutes, until lightly browned. No need to flip them, just let ‘em roast.
To make the sauce: Drain the cashews and place all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend away until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure you get everything. Depending on the strength of your blender this could take from one to five minutes.
When the macaroni is tender, drain it in a colander. Immediately place it back in the pot you boiled it in and stir in the sauce. Place pot on low heat and stir for 3 minutes or so, until the sauce is thickened a bit and everything is deliciously creamy. Taste for salt, toss in the brussel sprouts and serve!


What does dinner look like when J is working and not home? Normally it would be leftovers or something like this I made Sunday night - Roasted Sweet Potato with Black Beans and Salsa.  One thing I have found amazing about being vegan and eating non processed are the foods that I crave.  For one - sweet potatoes!  OMG, I want them all of the time!  Here is my quick and easy recipe:

Roasted Sweet Potato with Black Beans and Salsa

1 Sweet Potato
1/2 Can of no salt Black Beans
2 T Salsa

Peel and slice sweet potato into 1/4" slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and ginger if you'd like.  Back at 400 F for 25-30 minutes (flipping half way through).  Once nicely browned remove from oven.  Heat up 1/2 of the can of Black Beans in the microwave until warm.  Spoon over sweet potatoes slices and then top with salsa.  Quick and easy!!

 Redhead Chatter Time

Eating a vegan diet seems to make you a freak at times, or so it seems.  Never once when eating non-vegan did someone care about where I got my protein from or comment on what I was having for lunch when at work.  Once you start eating plant-strong and drop some weight all of a sudden everyone seems to be concerned about your protein level and "what's that red stuff in your salad?"  My husband has been a fire fighter/medic for over 20 years and has never rushed someone to the hospital with a protein deficiency.  Heart attack, yes. Stoke, yes. Diabetes, yes. High blood pressure, again YES. He has had the most issues with other co-workers.  Lots of back lash at times, luckily he is pretty thick skinned but I know it wears on him at times. We work hard to keep each other motivated and on track with our health (he's my fitness buddy and I love him!), but I hate that he gets beat up about choosing to be healthy.  Why beat some one up over being healthy?  Is he that much of a freak because he passes on the meat and dairy?  Or are they intimated that he's 44 years-old and looks amazing?  With Father's Day coming up it's my husband that is actually giving US a gift - choosing his health and wanting to be around a long time for me and the kids!  I just hope that as he reads this he knows that I love him very much.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Epictetus quote - a great philosophy I wish more people would adopt. Its sad your husband is running into flak from coworkers - hope its more good natured ribbing than serious jerkiness. I've had more backlash from vegans on what I'm choosing to eat, so guess it unfortunately goes both ways. We all need to lighten up on each other. :-) Just discovered your blog & am going to try one of your recipes today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)