Friday, June 7, 2013

sesame-honey tempeh & quinoa bowl + my start to running


Last night I whipped up dinner from a new recipe I found on Pinterest.  I wrote before that one thing I love about being vegan is replacing/adding/removing ingredients from a recipe and how easy it is to do.  What I plan on doing is sharing the recipe I started with and make notes of how I changed it up, so if you want to try the original you can or if you want to try my version you can do that as well!
The first time I used Tempeh way back when I sucked it all up.  My daughter and I couldn’t stand it.  Then I learned how to use it right and recipes that made it POP and taste amazing, but for those of you who have never used Tempeh here is some basic info on it:

What is Tempeh?

Tempeh is a soyfood made by controlled fermentation of cooked soybeans with a Rhizopus molds (tempeh starter). This fermentation binds the soybeans into a compact white cake. Tempeh has been a favorite food and staple source of protein in Indonesia for several hundred years. But it is now rapidly becoming popular all over the world as people look for ways to increase their intake of soy, known for its health benefits. They discover tempeh's versatility and delicious taste. Especially vegetarians and vegans find the structure and protein content interesting. Tempeh has a firm texture and a nutty mushroom flavor. It is very versatile and can be used in recipes in different ways. Normally tempeh is sliced or cut in cubes and fried until the surface is crisp and golden brown. You can also grate it like cheese. Tempeh can be used as ingredient in soups, spreads, salads and sandwiches. Tempeh is now commonly available in many supermarkets (I buy mine at Sprouts next to the Tofu) and health food stores.

Using Tempeh in your recipes

Fresh tempeh has a nice mushroom and nutty flavor, but in recipes it will readily absorbs flavors of other ingredients. Often, tempeh is marinated before cooking to give it a stronger and savory taste. You can substitute all or part of meat in your favorite recipe with tempeh.

Cooking methods

You can cook Tempeh by: boiling, steaming, baking, microwaving, stir-frying or grilling.

Sesame-Honey Tempeh & Quinoa Bowl


From EatingWell

Makes: 4 servings, 1/2 cup each quinoa and slaw & 3/4 cup tempeh

Active Time:

Total Time:

Ingredients


Quinoa & Carrot Slaw


  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large)
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce

Sesame-Honey Tempeh


  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil (I used Veggie Broth)
  • 2 8-ounce packages tempeh (see Note), crumbled into bite-size pieces
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 scallions, sliced (I did not add this)
  • I added 1 Onion
  • I added 1 Red Pepper
  • I added 6 sliced Mushrooms

Preparation


  1. To prepare quinoa: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 10 to 14 minutes. Uncover and let stand.
  2. To prepare carrot slaw: Meanwhile, combine carrots, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. To prepare tempeh: Heat 2 tablespoons oil (I used the veggie broth in place of oil) in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. (I added the onion, red pepper and mushrooms) Add tempeh and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes.
  4. Combine honey, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and coats the tempeh, about 1 minute.
  5. Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls and top each with 1/2 cup carrot slaw and 3/4 cup tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with scallions (I skipped this).

Tips & Notes


  • Tip: To toast sesame seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
  • Ingredient Note: Look for tempeh near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets.

Nutrition


Per serving: 536 calories; 27 g fat ( 5 g sat , 9 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 588 mg sodium; 899 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (182% daily value), Magnesium (46% dv), Iron (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Zinc (19% dv).

Both my husband J and I gave this dish two thumbs up!  The meal was pretty quick to put together, which is always a plus after a workday and hitting the gym before. As I served up our dinner dishes I also packed two containers for our lunches for the next day.  I found that putting the food away before we sit down keeps us from coming back and loading up a second plate.  Out of sight, out of mind!

Running Chatter

So, besides taking charge of my health this year with my diet I have also started thinking about the whole “running” thing again.  I have always been envious of those who participate in any sport and would have loved to have been an athlete of some type.  Walking is about as crazy as I have always been.  I did walk in the 3-Day walk – 60 miles (walked every step of it!), but still not my “idea” of an athlete.  I have dreamed of enjoying running and doing 5k’s and maybe dream bigger after that.  I would love the long lean legs of a runner.  But those have always just been dreams.  I’m done dreaming, I love having a goal to work towards and challenging myself.  Right now in Arizona there is not much going on outdoors, so it’s the perfect time to start training and work up to a 5k in the Fall/Winter.  I know I just need to pick one, sign up and get ready!!  That will be my next step.
I have found that having a fitness buddy (J is mine) really helps to keep on track and motivated.  I felt great last night running and J cheering me on as I ran further than I have in the past.  I am always up to teaming up with anyone else, so if you need that motivation as well, please just leave me a comment!

Keeping a journal is a great way to stay on track and watch your progress over the days/weeks/months.  I love making daily fitness/weight loss/to do goals to keep me focused.  I feel accomplished as I mark them off completed!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)