Monday, June 24, 2013

back to another monday - spicy mexican veggie burger recipe!

Crazy, crazy weekend - but aren't the all?

Friday night was dinner and baseball with my darling husband J.  He picked me up from work and we hit our favorite vegan place Pomegranate Café for dinner.  We both tried something new for dinner, myself the burger special for the day (which was spicy and very delish!) with a side of hummus.  J had the Rainbow Wrap, which he enjoyed as well.  When we left we bought a vegan almond joy bar to take to the game to enjoy later.  I have been DYING to try one as they look amazing!!

On the way into the game we hit a vendor for water and peanuts.  The game was great and my almond joy bar? AWESOME!!  I thought I had died and went to heaven!!

Fast forward to Saturday morning - yea, I don't think that almond joy bar agreed with me.  I ended up with a stomach ache all weekend long.  Ugh.  Guess that's what happens when you cut out sweets and then indulge yourself - payback. I tried to get past the pain and went out for a run with one of the dogs, but ended up doing more walking than running. 

I did go pick up our new foster puppy Cooper!!  OMG he is 4 months-old and such a doll!!  His first two nights he has even slept through the night in bed with us!  He is going to make a wonderful dog for some lucky family!!

Fitting with my weight loss I decided it was time for a new hair cut, something new and fresh.  I had about 8 inches taken off of the back and went for a nice bob, with it being longer in the front.  I think I lost another 10 pounds just with the hair cut!  LOL!  Amazing how a new style just lifts you up!

Food for the day - whole wheat tortilla with almond butter, pretty much the only thing that felt good in my stomach.  Ugh. Oh, did make my first oil free hummus, will share my recipe later this weekend.  Turned out very good!

Sunday I did wake up feeling better and made J a nice Tofu Scramble for when he came home from work. Have you had Kumato tomatoes before?? Wow, they have a wonderful flavor and great topped on top of a nice Tofu Scramble!  I buy mine at Wal-Mart if you're looking for them.  :)

Did hit the gym with J, but once I started running I started feeling like crap again.  I took it easy on the bike while J finished his run.  Was disappointed, but didn't want to get sick either...that would be a little embarrassing.  I did however promise J some vegan burgers for dinner and I was dying to try a new recipe.

Spicy Mexican Veggie Burger
From: Healthy Like This
Makes 6 burgers
1/2 cup brown rice, cooked + 1/4 cup brown rice (reserved)
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 block extra firm tofu, pressed* and crumbled
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c cilantro
1/3-1/2 c chickpea flour
1/4 c enchilada sauce
2 tbsp salsa
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 flax eggs (made by combining 2 tbsp ground flax and 6 tbsp warm water, let stand 5 min)

Buns, hot sauce, sprouts, tomato, avocado, hummus, and other toppings of choice

*to press tofu: rinse and pat dry, wrap in clean kitchen towel and place between dishes.  Put something heavy on the top plate and let stand for 15 minutes.

Add 1/2 c brown rice, beans, tofu, onion, red pepper, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro in food processor.  Pulse until well combined.  Transfer to bowl and add remaining ingredients, including reserved 1/4c rice (which adds texture).

Mix until well combined.  Form into 6 patties and place on wax paper-lined dish or baking sheet.  Note that the patties will be really soft and sticky.  They will get firmer in the fridge.

Refrigerate patties for at least 2 hours.   When ready to cook, remove from fridge and cook on indoor electric grill on "high" for 15 minutes. (I cooked mine on a lightly sprayed frying pan on top of the stove)
Sandwich in buns and top with desired fixings.

I would have left the dry rice out next time and add crushed pistachios instead.  Also this was very wet and I ended up adding oats and breadcrumbs to thick up some.  Over all, VERY good!!  We didn't do a bun, added avocado and Kumato tomatoes on top along with a side of sweet potato fries.

Today - The boy child comes home from Michigan!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)