Thursday, June 13, 2013

keeping on track made easy

I am a list maker. 
I admit it.
And I love it!

"Sometimes" I get a little carried away, but for me keeping a list or journal helps keep me on track with any project I am working on - health being one of them.  Here are a few ideas and options that might work for you as well:

Keeping a Journal
Whether you are trying to lose weight or work on a fitness goal keeping a journal is a great way to track your progress, make notes or write down your thoughts for the day.  I have found that this keeps me focused and I love looking back seeing the progress I have made.  When we started our work fitness challenge I knew that I wanted to accomplish a few things with my journal:

1. Track my daily weight
2. Create goals for the day (a simple as remembering to take my vitamins, go to the gym, working on he DIY project I had going on at home)
3. Track my weekly weight loss
4. Write down my random thoughts for the day
5. Track my 5k training and times
6. Keeping motivational quotes
7. Keep weight loss photos as I'm going to motivate me

What to use for your journal?
That is totally up to you.  You can spend lots for a nice leather type journal or if on a budget a spiral bound notebook from Wal-Mart would work just as well. For my weight loss challenge journal I found a sample journal I received at a trade show earlier this year that worked out great.  Nothing fancy, pretty boring but fit in my purse and I could drag around with me.  As our challenge is almost over I found another sample to use next, but this time I ending up spray painting it and stamping my favorite quote on it...I like getting my hands covered with paint!! The option of what to use is totally up to you.  Think about if you'll be carrying it around with your or will it be sitting on your night table, that might help decide the size of it.  Do bright colors make you happy and motivated or would you rather keep it simple?  Lots of great options out there!  I also like a journal that has a place to keep my favorite pen...it writes in purple ink and makes me happy!

Remember the journal you keep is all YOURS and you are free to with it as you choose.  No right or wrong, go crazy!!

Phone Apps
Another awesome way to keep on track is by download an app to your smart phone.  I have several that I use for tracking my weight, keeping fitness goals, finding near by Vegan restaurants and more!  Here are a few of my favorite (note I have an android phone and some may not be available on the iPhone):

1. Simple Weight Loss Resolution
2. Lose It!
3. Fooducate
4. Organic Revolution
5. Happy Cow
6. Calorie Counter - MyFitnessPal

Right now I am trying out a few different apps for tracking my 5k training, but have yet to find anything I really like.  Speaking of 5k's - last night at the gym didn't go very well.  I was about half way through my 5k on the treadmill when my crazy long legs some how pulled the emergency stop key out and stopped my run.  TOTALLY threw me out of whack and just threw my run off.  Makes me think that I need to learn how to recover when something happens when I am out actually running a real 5k.  Something for me to chew on that's for sure.

I was hoping to have a new recipe to share, but the grilled portabellas and peaches didn't happen last night.  WooHoo for left overs in cute Mason Jars!! Okay, have you seen Cuppow?!? Omg, these are just too cool!!  With my new Mason Jar addiction, I see myself buying some items from there in my future!

Enjoy your Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)