Wednesday, June 5, 2013

welcome!


Hello and welcome to my new blog!  In the past I have had a blog documenting my love of scrapbooking and crafting, and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to share my vegan and running journey. I have a love for being vegan….running?  Well that I am trying to love. LOL!  Why start a blog on this?  Well, I have had lots of questions regarding being “plant strong” as to, where to start?...how to shop?...and then there are the opposers saying it’s just another diet.  No, it’s not.  It’s a lifestyle and a lifestyle I choose.  I agree it may not be a lifestyle for everyone, I mean why would everyone want to feel great?  Okay, something about me – I tend to say what I think without a filter.  Anyways, J (my darling husband and my biggest supporter!) and I have tried to stay away from meat as much as possible in the past but always end up back at the bar eating junk…killing out bodies.  That changed in March, J had his physical for work coming up and knew it was going to be a bad outcome.  Myself, I was getting ready to try on a pair of size 16 pants and had enough.  I talked my co-workers into starting a Summer Weight Loss Challenge I was ready to drop this weight!  First step was my diet.  I knew what I needed to do.  I’m not stupid.  More veggies and fruits, whole foods, non-processed food…that was my starting point and thank God for a husband that wanted to join me!  That was March – fast forward to June – I am 25 lbs. lighter, J has dropped 30 lbs. AND stopped snoring!!  LOL, sorry but it was a big deal for us.  Our physicals went amazing and all of our levels perfect.  We had to apologize to our doctor for being so “boring” as we had no pains or aliments.  He actually said that he wished he had more “boring” patients like us.
 
Where to start?  Books, Blogs, where not to start!  There is a wealth of information out there that’s for sure.  For us the Engine 2 diet hit home.  Rip is a fire fighter as is J, and his writing is easy to follow.  Instead of thinking “vegan” he likes to talk “plant strong” both will get you to the same finish line…a healthy body!  For me Vegucated hit me the hardest.  I am an animal lover and learning more about how our farm animals are treated just did me in.  I love this quote –  “I’ve often said that if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.” – Paul McCartney.

So, now you’ve read the books or watched the videos time to go crazy and buy everything you can!!  Easy mistake.  Yes there are those stock up items that are great to have, but I have found buying them as needed works just as well.  My number one tip – plan your meals for the week starting with a grocery list as well.  Looking for that great meal to make Pinterest rocks my ever loving world!  Start an account and start pinning!  And look for those recipes where you know what all the ingredients really are (or google if you’re not sure about one).  After you have that list time to go shopping.  I find that what works best for our family is having everything ready to grab-and-go!  Sunday is normally my day that I put on my cute apron, turn on a movie and start dicing!  Fruits such as strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple all get sliced up and ready to eat.  Any carrots, apples, etc. get washed and put in eyes view.  Then I plan one simple grab-and-go lunch for J and I for that week.  Normally a salad or soup of some type.  I make this up as well and we are ready for the week!  Sounds like a lot, but really it’s not.  Again, make it fun turn up your iPod and burn off some calories while slicing and dicing your way into better health! 
 
I guess you could eat out and have this guy making your food –

 
I’m going to say no thank you and pass.  Another tip – I cook larger dinners so I can freeze them for a quick go to dinner or weekend lunch!

Again, thank you for stopping by and I hope you stick around to enjoy this journey with me!!

xoxo
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)