Tuesday, April 1, 2014

start the day off right! mediterranean tofu scramble

One of my favorite things to do come Saturday morning is make a HUGE tofu scramble.  I make enough to take my husband and I through Sunday, Monday and sometimes even Tuesday!  Every weekend I normally do something different, Mexican, Veggie, just depends on my mood and/or what I have in the house.  This weekend, Mediterranean with a side of homemade red potatoes!

When I grew up we had breakfast EVERY day.  Most days it was just cereal, but sometimes my dad would make something special like pancakes...or not special - like eggs.  I was never much of an egg fan.  Runny eggs totally freaked me out. Changing to a vegan lifestyle, lets just say...I had NO issues with giving up eggs.  If you have not tried making a scramble with tofu you are REALLY missing out.  Not only are they easy, but you can add any or all of YOUR favorite veggies!  Go crazy! Express yourself!


Mediterranean Tofu Scramble with Homemade Red Potatoes


Red Potatoes (I like to start these cooking first)

Ingredients
5 Red Potatoes (more or less as needed), julienne sliced
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Directions
Spray frying pan with cooking spray and heat on high.  Clean and slice potatoes and using a slicer cut julienne style.  Over high heat cook, adding salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (8 minutes).  Turn heat down to med-high, flipping potatoes as needed and cook until crispy.

Mediterranean Tofu Scramble

Ingredients
1 Extra Firm Tofu
1 Red Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 14.5 oz Can of Artichoke Hearts, sliced
1 14.5 oz. Can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Bunch of Asparagus, cut into bite size pieces
1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
2 T. Nutritional Yeast
Salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 Cup Sun dried Tomatoes
Sliced Black Olives
1 teaspoon Turmeric
2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar


Directions
First thing - open Tofu and drain.  Wrap Tofu in paper towels and press under something heavy to remove liquid (or use if  you have a tofu press). 

Using a large frying pan, spray with cooking spray and heat over med-high heat.  Add red onion and red bell pepper, cook for about 5 minutes.  Add artichoke hearts, black beans, asparagus and mushrooms.  Stir in nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil and cumin.  Cook for another 8 minutes until veggies are tender. Add sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Remove Tofu from paper towels and using your hands break into crumbles adding to scramble, sprinkle with turmeric and balsamic vinegar and mix well.  Heat for another 5 minutes until Tofu is warm. Remove from heat.

Serve scramble with red potatoes and top with your favorite hot sauce.  Enjoy!!

What's New With This Redhead

Not much. LOL! My weekend consist of prom shopping with my beautiful teenage daughter and relaxing with my husband.  I find it hard to believe I have a child graduating from High School this May!!  Where has the time gone and have I really gotten THAT old?!?  I am so proud of my daughter, she's a great kid.  Smart, compassionate, responsible and beautiful inside-out!  OH, and my favorite shopping buddy EVER!!  We tore up Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall on Sunday!!  Prom dress - think we found and a graduation gift idea!  Do mom's get a graduation gift??  If so, I need this Prada bag.  LOL! Scary that the sales lady at Prada remembered my name.  Stalker!!

Coming up - new Lemon Salsa Verde Hummus recipe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)