Wednesday, March 5, 2014

weekend food recap AND a new recipe!

Wow, Wednesday already?  Last weekend was a bit of a wash out with the rain that came our way, so what is one to do?  Cook!  I had a blast trying some new recipes, like making sushi for the first time, and was really happy when everything came out as I had hoped.  Here is a little recap of my weekend, a new recipe and a bit of this and that.  :)

Weekend Food Recap

Saturday I wanted to make up some raw vegan bars that would last through the week and make for a quick grab-and-go snack.  I found a recipe for Raw Vegan Orange Pistachio Bars that turned out GREAT!  They were not on the sweet side, so i would suggest sweetening them up if you're expecting more of that thing.

Next up was lunch.  I had no idea that my husband had never had Spring Rolls before!  Normally I make these for myself on weekends when he works since they are so fun and easy.  Really ANYTHING goes!  This is a great time to use up veggies in the fridge and make something yummy out of them!  I even had some spicy peanut sauce that worked great for dipping them in.  Mine had everything inside from zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, avocado and sprouts!!  Have all of your veggies sliced up and then get rolling!



Dinner is about where my weekend went south.  A bottle of wine sounded wonderful while cooking, but when you have dropped to your lowest weight and pretty much gave up drinking, BUT still think you can drink like you did before...well, that equals to bad news.  I won't go into full details, but trust me it wasn't good.  Anyway, dinner was good (from what I remember about it, and after having leftovers on Sunday).  I made Baked Acorn Squash Rings that were to DIE for!! I kid you not, they were better than onion rings!  Also for dinner was Lentil & Sweet Potato Loaf that was the BEST lentil loaf I have yet to make. I made a spicy ketchup to top mine with which complimented the sweet potatoes nicely. Wish I could share a photo of mine, but the wine made for a not so great photo LOL. * Note to self: GIVE UP DRINKING.

Sunday I bounced back, a little slow, but still alive. I was so excited to try my hand at making Sushi for the very first time.  I worried they would either turn out ugly or just totally fall apart on me.  Wanting to stay away from using white sticky rice I created two different options - sticky quinoa (just quinoa and some rice vinegar) and zucchini rice (shredded zucchini with mashed avocado and a little lemon juice).  Both worked out great!  For the filling I had everything from sweet potato, asparagus, mushrooms, avocado and red pepper.  Again, great way to clean out your fridge!  Once all of my veggies were cut it was time to get rolling.  I used a kitchen towel as normally you would use a bamboo mat, kitchen towel worked great.  Rolling them was surprisingly EASY. My only note would be to use a VERY sharp knife when slicing them, mine is dull and pulled a bit.  However, I only ended up with maybe four slices that fell apart on me.  For me first time, I would say my sushi making was a success!!  The husband and I TOTALLY overate!!  I think it's the first time ever we have walked away FULL after eating sushi lol.

After surviving the weekend Monday I was looking forward to trying something new for dinner.  I was in the mood for an Asian style dish and some spicy peanut sauce!


Veggie & Edamame Spicy Peanut Sauce Stir-Fry


Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup of Quinoa
  • 2 Cups of Water
  • 5-6 Carrots, peeled and cut
  • 1 Bag of Frozen Shelled Edamame, thawed
  • 1 Red Pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 Cut of Mushrooms, diced
  • 1 Onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 Avocado, peeled and chopped
Over high heat bring water and quinoa to a boil, simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until done.  Then sit aside.

In a large pot use a couple tablespoons of vegetable broth and heat over med-high heat on stove.  Add onions, carrots, red pepper and mushrooms.  Cook for 7-8 minutes until tender.  Stir in edamame and peanut sauce, heating on low until warm.  Finish by stirring in chopped avocado. I topped mine with a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes as well.

Serve over quinoa and enjoy! This makes great leftovers as well.
_________________________
For the peanut sauce:
  • 2 Garlic Cloves
  • 1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter
  • Juice of 1 small Lemon
  • 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (I use low sodium)
  • 2 Tablespoons Water
  • 1 Tablespoon Agave
  • 1 teaspoon Ginger Powder
  • 1 Chipotle Pepper
Add all of the peanut sauce ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.  The sauce will thicken up as it sits, add more water if needed.  Set aside until ready to add to veggie mixture.






New Week & Moving Forward

Monday I was a bit disappointed with my weekly weigh-in, but I know to move forward and it will all be good.  Sure enough a couple of days later and I am back on track.  I thought I would share a little of my workout/healthy eating routine if you're interested.

My workout: M-F my co-workers and I do a 30 minute walk.  Then M-F I walk as soon as I get home from work, this is normally a 45 minute walk.  I have found that this is my "trigger" time for junk food, and just being out of the house really helps keep me on track.

I try to include some weights into my weekly workout, but nothing crazy.

My diet: I ALWAYS eat breakfast.  This will jump start your metabolism for the day. I also try and eat a raw breakfast.  I love making overnight oats, chia pudding with fruit or THIS raw Breakfast Banana Pie.  Yum!  During the morning I do have a couple cups of black coffee and lots of water.  Lunch is normally also raw.  Lots of veggies and oil free hummus that I make.  With walking I use up most of my lunch break, so with veggies and hummus I can munch all afternoon at my desk and enjoy each and every bite!  If I come home from work and really feel like I need something before walking again, then I will do a handful of raw nuts.  After my walk it's time for dinner!  I really watch my portions and love cooking whatever we eat that night (no processed foods!).  Normally that keeps me good for the evening.  However, there are "those" nights were a snack is needed.  Solutions: air popped popcorn, frozen banana ice cream or chocolate avocado pudding hits the spot!  All are supper easy to make and good for you!

My over all tips would be:
  • Eat breakfast
  • Take a B12 in the morning
  • Bring your food to work, this way you can only eat what you have
  • Break up your workouts, walk at lunch and then at home and it helps break up the day
  • Journal everyday, learn what your "triggers" are and how to avoid them
  • Surround yourself with happy people, makes for a much better life!
I promise when you take care of your body and mind it makes everyday so much easier to wake up to! Some days it's hard to remember that with work, traffic, crazy co-workers, kids, keeping up the house, tending to your pets...and on and on...that unless we take care of US we just cannot do it all. Make small changes at first if you have to, but do it for YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)