Friday, February 28, 2014

great balls of falafel!

While on Instagram yesterday a gal I follow shared a Falafel recipe that not only looked good, but looked easy AND I had just about everything at home to make!  Score for me!!  When the husband works I love cooking up something for myself with enough leftover for him to have for lunch the next day.  I made a few tweaks to the original recipe and decided to use up the last zucchini in the fridge and top with a Cashew Lemon Cream sauce.  This was a quick and easy dinner, enjoy!


Chickpea & Veggie Baked Falafel with Zucchini Pasta

and Cashew Lemon Cream Sauce


Ingredients
For Falafel

1 Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 Red Onion
1/4 Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil or Parsley
1/2 Red Pepper
2 Garlic Cloves
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
2-4 Tablespoons of Ground Flaxseed, Flour or Breadcrumbs


Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In your food processor add all of the ingredients except for the Ground Flaxseed (or flour) and process until everything is chopped up, but still a little lumpy.  Once done transfer to a bowl and carefully stir in Flaxseed (or flour), until mixture will stick together well.  On a baking sheet cover with parchment paper and roll mixture into small balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and carefully flip balls over and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven to cool.

While the Falafel is cooking clean your zucchini and using a spiral cutter slice and set aside.  You could also use your hand peeler to create pasta.

Ingredients
Lemon Cashew Cream Sauce

1 Cup of Cashews (I use raw cashews), if you do not have a high power blender soak in water for 4 or more hours
Juice from 1 Lemon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
Zest of 1 lemon
3/4 Cup of Water (more or less depending how thick you want your sauce)

Directions
After Cashews have soak, drain water and place in food processor or high speed blender and add remaining ingredients.  Blend on high until smooth and creamy.

Place sliced zucchini in a frying pan and stir in Cashew Lemon Cream Sauce and heat just until warm.  Serve with Falafel and top zucchini pasta with red pepper flakes. Enjoy!!

Etsy Store Update

I had hoped to have more new designs up this week, but it has been a CRAZY week.  My one new Kale "it's a vegan thing!" shirt is up and available to purchase.  I have mine and will be wearing this wet and rainy weekend!!

The rain coming in today is putting a damper on my weekend plans, but still looking forward to spending it with the husband!  Maybe a movie? DIY project? Shopping?!?  The possibilities are endless!  I just need the weather to let up enough that I can get my walking in.  Hope you enjoy your weekend and keep it a healthy one!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)