Tuesday, February 25, 2014

non-pasta vegan mac and "cheese" - oh yeah, it CAN be done!

I have been DYING for vegan Mac and "Cheese" but with my weight loss challenge going on at the office I knew that I really didn't need the calories.  But come on, Mac and Cheese is sooooo good!!  All of that creamy goodness who am I to say no?!  So, what is a vegan chick to do?  Come up with a non-pasta version!!  My thought was if I was to cut out the pasta I would replace it with zucchini and then bulk it up with some more veggies!!  Here is what I came up with:


Spicy Vegan Non-Pasta Mac & "Cheese" with Mushrooms and Roasted Brussels Sprouts


Ingredients
3 Zucchini, spiral cut, then cut into smaller pieces
2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced
1-2 T Vegetable Broth
2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts, sliced in half ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
1 Cup Bread Crumbs


Ingredients:
For the cheese sauce (from The Detoxinista):
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
3 T. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 clove garlic
pinch of turmeric
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. mustard (dijon or yellow)
1 Chipotle Pepper (If you want spicy)


Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice Brussels Sprouts in half and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Spray lightly with cooking spray and salt/pepper as desired.  Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Once done set aside.

Using a spiral slicer (I LOVE mine) or traditional peeler, cut all three zucchini and then cut into smaller pieces.  Place in a baking pan and set aside.

As the Brussels Sprouts are cooking, slice mushrooms and in medium skillet add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable broth over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes.  Set aside once done.

Vegan "Cheese" Sauce
  1. If you have a Vita-Mix, or other high-powered blender, making this sauce is incredibly easy. Simply throw the first ten ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy!
  2. If you do not have a high-powered blender, don’t worry– you can easily use a food processor or blender to process the cashews first, until they are finely ground, or ideally, a nut-butter-like consistency. Once your cashews are thoroughly processed, add the rest of the ingredients and process until thick and smooth.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With the pan of zucchini top with mushrooms, roasted Brussels Spout and "cheese" sauce.  Carefully mix together to cover everything with "cheese".  Top with bread crumbs and bake for 15 minutes uncovered.



Enjoy!!  This was even BETTER the next day for lunch!  I don't think I would ever use pasta again and depending on the type of pasta you were to use - I cut 500+ calories from this dish.  Heck yeah, that's what I'm talking about!!

FYI - My office weight loss challenge... as of today I am down 16.4 lbs!!  Woohoo!!

Now, go cook up something vegan and healthy - your body will thank you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)