Thursday, February 20, 2014

vegan snacks to die for!

I will be the first to admit - I LOVE junk food!!  After becoming vegan I found that I LOVE vegan junk food too!!  I quickly realized as I finished my first weight loss challenge and gained 14 of the 30 pounds I lost back, that vegan's can be overweight too thanks to vegan junk food.

Beginning of January this year i decided it was time to give up the processed vegan junk food and get back to eating smart and healthy.  My #1 go to snack - hummus!  Oil free hummus at that!  Well, this week I found a new recipe and I'm sorry but this is HUMMUS CRACK!  The creamiest best tasting I have yet to discover.



Roasted Red Pepper & Almond Hummus


Ingredients

  • ½ cup raw almonds (with skins left on)
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2-2 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional, can reduce or omit for oil-free)
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas (rinse and drain if using canned - one can is usually about 1 3/4 cups)
  • ½ cup roasted red peppers (from jar), excess liquid drained off
  • 1 medium clove garlic (or to taste), sliced
  • ½ tsp Dijon mustard
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 - 4 tbsp water (to thin dip as desired)
  • ¼ - 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
  • 1 - 2tbsp almonds, chopped (for garnish, optional)


Instructions
  • In a food processor, add ½ cup almonds and pulse until very fine. Add vinegar, oil (if using), chickpeas, roasted red peppers, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth, gradually adding water as desired to thin dip and scraping down sides of bowl several times. Once smooth, add parsley and puree briefly to lightly incorporate ingredients. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve in a bowl, garnish with parsley and 1-2 tbsp almonds. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
This was the first hummus I have made with Almonds in it, and WOW I am in love!!  Give it a try, I promise you will NOT be disappointed!!  This is sick, but I am pretty sure I could just eat this hummus with a spoon and be in a happy place LOL.
 
Okay, overcoming my next vegan junk food love - french fries.  I found Acorn Squash Fries...OMG so good!!  Even better whip up ketchup with a chipotle pepper for some HOT dipping sauce!!  You can find the recipe HERE and yes, mine looked nothing like hers but they were SO good!!  I loved that they were baked and I found that mine took a lot longer to cook, maybe 30 minutes on both side, but i like mine well done.

Big News

Finally I will be updating my Etsy store with NEW designs and apparel hopefully by the end of next week if not sooner!!  Yes, I am WAY over due and I apologize for that.  I could use 10 more ME hours in everyday...said every full-time working mom out there!!  I can wait to be styling in some new shirts this Spring!!  Keep your eyes open for the new designs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)