Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cauliflower "Rice" with Veggies and Tofu

I have been having so much fun in the kitchen lately playing with new recipes.  One thing I have yet to try is replacing my rice with cauliflower "rice." So with cauliflower in hand last night I gave it a try.  What turned out - a VERY yummy vegan dish of goodness!!  My husband who is ALWAYS willing to try something new, couldn't believe it was cauliflower!  That's when I knew it was a true success.

If you are not a huge tofu fan, try searing the tofu really well done.  My husband does not care for it to be too "mushy" but when I cook it really good we both find it to be really enjoyable and tasty.
 

Cauliflower "Rice" with Veggies and Tofu



Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 Extra Firm Tofu, cut into cubes
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
2 T. Sriracha
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

1 Onion
2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced
1 Bunch Asparagus, cut into pieces
1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice

2 teaspoons Cumin
2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Ginger

1 Head of Cauliflower
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts
1 T. Chili Flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste


1. Press tofu for 30 minutes. Whisk together soy sauce,  Sriracha and garlic powder.  Cut tofu into small cubes and add to sauce for 10 minutes, coating evenly.

2. In a hot pot add a bit of water so veggies don't stick and add onion, mushrooms and asparagus.  Cook for 10 minutes.

3. In a very hot frying pan add tofu and extra sauce.  Cover and cook until well seared on all sides for about 15 minutes. 

4. Using a small bowl whisk lemon juice, cumin and maple syrup.  Set a side.

5. Cut cauliflower into pieces and place in your food processor and pulse until it has a "rice" look. 

6. In the large veggie pot add the cauliflower "rice" and mix with veggies.  Add the sauce and mix again.  Carefully stir in tofu and add salt, pepper (if needed), chili flakes and pine nuts.  Serve and enjoy! 

Keeping it Cool This Summer

Living in Arizona we tend to spend most of our time in the pool.  Now that the kids are older and not using it as much the husband and I have it all to ourselves (and our freaky Cavalier Mazie...long story).  Normally we drink beer while hanging out, but since I am cleaning up the diet I wanted something cool and refreshing while out there.  Gotta love Pintrest - Popsicles!! Oh, yes why have I never made my own?!? Pulled out my cell phone last night, brought up Amazon and tomorrow my pop molds will be here.  Just in time for the weekend!!  The ideas are flowing through my head non-stop!  First - the avocado chocolate pudding I make, would that work as a fudge-cycle?!?  If it does, SHUT UP! LOL!

Do you make your own?  Any recipes I need to know about??

1 comment:

  1. Love popsicles! I was looking for a whole fruit version to make for my little grandson & found this awesome site. We all love them - the goodness of the whole fruit & we cooled off at the same time!
    http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/2014/04/whole-fruit-popsicles.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)