Monday, June 30, 2014

Vegan Deep Dish "Sausage" Pizza

My husband and I have been eating a vegan diet for over a year now.  When I ask him, "If you could have one NON-vegan meal, what would it be?" I am always surprised it's not a huge steak he would want, but a deep dish sausage pizza that haunts him. A few weeks back when at our local pizza joint I asked if they could make a vegan version for us, but was sadly told it couldn't be done.  I could see why a non-vegan restaurant couldn't make my husbands dreams come true, but heck - I could!  Friday night the heavens opened up and my husband fell in love - with a Vegan Deep Dish "Sausage" Pizza!  I wanted this to be as true to a non-vegan pie with "real" sausage bites and thick to perfection. Somehow I accomplished it all. The flavor was amazing, crust held up great and the little sausage balls just sent it over the edge!  I now need to go out and buy a deep round pan just for making this pizza!!

Vegan Deep Dish "Sausage" Pizza


Ingredients:
Pizza Crust Dough (I LOVE Whole Foods)
Organic Pizza Sauce - 1 Jar

1 Gimme Lean Sausage
1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
1 Cup Onion, sliced
Sliced Black Olives
1/4 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) Package Mozzarella Vegan Cheese, shredded
oregano, to taste
1 teaspoon Sage
Fresh Basil


Preparation of Sausage:
In a bowl, combine sausage, sage and oregano (as much or as little as you'd like). and mix well with your hands.  Using your hands roll out small 1/2" balls and place in large frying pan (sprayed with cooking spray).  Once all of your sausage balls are formed place frying pan over high heat and cook until well browned. Remove from heat once done.

Heat oven to 450° F.
Roll or press out the dough that will fit in a round or square, 9″ cooking pan. Lightly oil the baking pan prevent the dough from sticking. Place the dough in the pan so that it covers the sides to make a wall.

Begin layering the ingredients. Sausage balls, sliced mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Cover with vegan mozzarella cheese and spread it as evenly as possible. Sprinkle oregano and fresh basil over cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and add a layer of sauce (top with a few black olives if you'd like). Place in the oven again and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let cool 5-10 minutes.  Slice and serve!

My New Love - Soba Noodles!

image from The Simple Veganista
I have recently discovered Soba Noodles.  Wow, how have I NEVER had these before? The dishes you can make with these are endless, and I just love the soft texture.  I made my first dish last week from a recipe I found at The Simple Veganista that is worth checking out!  I see myself having these about once a week now!  LOL!

Have you discovered a new food or ingredient recently?

Well, off to work on my vegan 4th of July menu!!  I am ready for a long weekend poolside!  Yes, I know today is only Monday but a girl can dream!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)