Wednesday, April 1, 2015

spicy veggie quinoa enchilada casserole

Ugh, I really dislike April 1st.  You never know who or what to believe!  I did enjoy telling my son his school was on lockdown this morning and there would be no school...heeeheehee...he wasn't that thrilled when he realized I pranked him.

Now this I promise you is NO April Fools day joke!  Last night I made the most amazing and delicious dinner!  Very easy and held together great!


spicy veggie quinoa enchilada casserole

Spicy Veggie Quinoa Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients

 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Jalapeno, diced
1 Red Pepper, diced
2 Zucchini, diced
6 oz. Spinach
15 oz. can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 cup Salsa
1/4 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
 2 15 oz. cans Enchilada Sauce, medium heat
12 Corn Tortillas
4 oz. can sliced Black Olives, rinsed and drained
Avocado (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions (I like using veggie broth instead of water for a better taste).

In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, red pepper, zucchini,  jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes.  Add in spinach and cilantro, sauté for about 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.

Add cooked quinoa, black beans, spices, and salsa. Stir to combine and cook until heated through.

Place a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Using a pizza cutter cut corn tortillas into long strips. Place a few of the strips along the bottom of the pan on top of the enchilada sauce to cover.  Using 1/2 of the veggie quinoa filling cover tortillas. Use more of the tortilla strips and cover the veggie filling, pour more enchilada sauce over the tortillas.  Using the remaining veggie quinoa filling cover again.  Finish with the remaining tortilla strips and top with the last enchilada sauce and sliced black olives.  Place in oven and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.  Let cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. Top with diced avocado if desired.

Weekend Recap

Like every weekend lately - I am so ready for it come Saturday morning!  Daphne and I got in a great almost 6 mile walk, finishing at our coffee hangout and met up with the husband who was coming off shift.  Such a perfect way to get the weekend rolling. Side note - TODAY is Daphne's Gotcha Day Anniversary! She was our first rescue Cavalier, she was turned in to the rescue by a family who no longer wanted her.  Yes, she is on 5am-7pm, 150 miles per hour, but we love her!  The BEST walking dog ever! And I say this because she sets a great fast pace and does NOT let you slow down!!  Darn girl is 7 years-old but you would think she was two!  LOL!  Love you Daph!!

The new hair did happen and I am loving it!  I feel sassy and full of it!  LOL!  I went with an all over darker red and copper highlights, taking a good 4" off of the back.  I have been surprised how easy it is to curl in the morning. I seriously only get my hair done twice a year, so this was a great treat!  LOL!

Have a great week! Stay healthy my friends!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)