Wednesday, March 25, 2015

vegan spicy mediterranean mac & "cheese"

I love this time of the year more than any I think.  That fresh Spring is in the air feeling.  Laying out by the pool. Cool fresh veggie dishes.  I just want to quit my job and live out by the pool right now.  BUT life does not permit me to do so.

My weekends have consisted of coffee at my favorite local coffee shop, LONG walks with my Cavalier Daphne and relaxing poolside.  I am thinking I need to rent Daphne out as she really kicks my butt when it comes to great walks! The dog NEVER slows down!

Still working away on cleaning up my health and doing great!  I am in week seven and down about 17 lbs.  -> insert happy dance!!  I feel so much happier, lighter on my feet and really positive!  I did a little tweaking with my diet last week cutting out my morning smoothie and substituting it with veggies.  I found that I feel so much fuller and the weight loss is moving again.

Last night my husband told me I knocked it out of the ball park with dinner!  Always a great complement to hear!  This was seriously like eating junk food that you might get at Olive Garden I kid you not!

vegan spicy mediterranean mac & "cheese"

Vegan Spicy Mediterranean Mac & "Cheese"

Ingredients:
1 box of Quinoa Macaroni Pasta

Sauce:
1 Cup Raw Cashews (soak for 2 hours if you don't have a Vitamix)
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
3 tbsp. Tomato Paste
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (less if you don't like it hot)
1 Cup of Water (or more if too thick)
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil

Veggies:
1 Red Onion, sliced
1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Can Artichokes Hearts, sliced
1/4 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
1/4 Cup Kalamata Olives, pitted and halved
1 1/2 Cups Spinach

Directions:
In a large pot cook quinoa macaroni as directed.  While cooking make your sauce using a blender or high power food processor.  Place all items in blender and blend until smooth.  Add more water if too thick. Set aside.

In a large pan over med-high heat use a little veggie broth (or oil) and heat.  Add sliced red onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.  Add in artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives and garlic powder and cook for another 5 minutes.  Finish by adding spinach and cook until slightly wilted.

Once pasta is done drain and put back in large pot. Add veggie mix and stir well.  Slowly stir in sauce until nice and creamy.  Top with a little extra basil and enjoy!

My Healthier New Me

The only thing with losing weight and feeling so much better - I spend money!  LOL!  Today I had pant drama as NOTHING fits!!  Waiting for my pants to fall down at some point today.  I also feel the need to "refresh" the hair!!  I have an appointment with my rockin' stylist Ashley on Saturday for a new cut and color!  Being a natural red head it's fun to play around with different shades of red, something I never did until my 40's.  Looking forward to Saturday getting here as I am changing my mind daily as to what I might do!  I will make sure to post my before and after!!
 
Have a happy and healthy week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)