Monday, October 14, 2013

cooking, relaxing, sewing & a greyhound event - all in a weekend

Wow, where did this weekend go?  I cooked up a storm on Saturday and had a blast while doing so!  Yes, cooking and Walking Dead makes me happy happy happy!  I started with making a big pot of White Bean Tuscan Soup for lunches this week. 

White Bean Tuscan Soup

Ingredients

  • 1 Can Cannelloni Beans, drained
  • 1 Cam Chickpeas, drained
  • 3 Cups Water
  • 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
  • 1 Large Onion, diced
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 Zucchini, diced
  • 1 15 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
  • 2 Cups Butternut Squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I buy packaged)
  • 1 T. Chili Powder
  • 1 T. Cumin
  • 1 tsp. Paprika
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions

In a large pot over med-high heat sauté onion in a tablespoon or two of vegetable broth for 5-7 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for a another two minutes.  Add tomatoes, water, vegetable broth and seasoning, stirring well.  Finish by adding in beans, zucchini and butternut squash.  Turn to low and simmer for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!
 
I am trying to find the perfect vegan pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and played around with one I found online (kind of make its own crust), but wasn't happy with the outcome.  Not like my great-grandmother's recipe at all.  Please share if you have one you love!  My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the pie, okay I could eat pumpkin pie all day/everyday!!
 

DIY Saturday

 
My quest to make Prada a sleep jacket that wouldn't build up static and shock her all night long was achieved!  Using fleece on the outside and a hot pink jersey knit fabric on the inside worked like a charm!  AND I only had to re-cut the next pieces as they were first too short.  Overall I am happy with the out come and have few other ideas spinning around in my head.  Love the sleeping owls!! Too cute!! 
 

Greyhound Adoption Event

Sunday Prada and I volunteered at our first adoption event in Tempe.  The day was a little hot, but under our tent it was pretty nice.  My worry was we had to park and then take a shuttle over to the event, but Prada did great and made it up the shuttle's steps and onto the shuttle after a little encouragement from the driver.  We quickly found our group and there were TONS of Greyhounds there!  Prada did awesome with the other dogs and LOVED all of the people who loved on her.  She and I were both tired after the event and she crashed hard that evening!  LOL!  Here are a couple pics -
 

 
Those were just a few highlights from the weekend, it was just one of those perfect weekends you don't want to come to and end.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)