Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fagioli All’Uccelletta & happy gotcha day!

With Fall now upon us and actually having some nice "sweater weather" it's time for lots of soup!!  I love making a huge pot up on Sunday and then canning it in mason jars for lunch all week long.  If we have some left at the end of the week I just pop those into the freezer and enjoy later.  I'm all about quick and easy.  This was a pretty tasty recipe and you have the option of spicing it up if you like it on the hotter side.

Fagioli All’Uccelletta



Original from: Vegan Miam

Ingredients
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans including liquid
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes including juice
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, sliced
  • 2/3 cup diced carrots
  • 2 tsp. dried sage
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • Optional: Add dried chili flakes for mild heat

 
Method
  1. In a saucepan or deep skillet, heat the vegetable broth over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onions and dried sage. Cook until garlic is soft and not too brown.
  2. Add reserved liquid (from the canned beans), beans, tomatoes with juice, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, salt and pepper to taste and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally , until thickened, about 25 to 30 minute until beans are tender. Enjoy!

Happy 2nd Gotcha Day!

What is Gotcha Day?  That is the special day when you adopt a dog (or other animal).  Two years ago today my husband and I drove from AZ to MO to rescue our sweet little iHop!! It was one of the most fun trips we have ever taken and  well worth it.  I remember waiting to see iHop for the first time and he was all bundled up in a yellow baby blanket and so very very tiny. It wasn't until we were back on the road that I unwrapped him to see his missing paw.  Hard to believe his breeder wanted to throw him out the window.  Today iHop is happy and healthy!  A bit on the needy side, but we still love him. I love you iHop!! xoxoxo
 

Happy Vegan Halloween

Yes, Halloween is coming up!!  Are you ready??  We are looking forward to having friends over - food, fire, pumpkin beer and trick-or-treaters!! This will be my first Halloween cooking all vegan, so I have my recipes ready and will start cooking the evening before!  On the menu: vegan pumpkin chili, cornbread with green chilies, vegan dips and chips!!  What are you cooking up?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Would you please share the corn bread recipe? I bet it's delicious! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good - filling and comforting! I saw you were a runner too - how is it going?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)