Thursday, October 3, 2013

Vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas - Perfect for Fall

Mexican food has to be my all time favorite food.  I love tacos, burros, enchiladas - I love it all!!  With Fall now here I love adding in sweet potatoes to just about everything, including my Mexican dishes.  This recipe does take a while to cook and put together, but I love that it makes so many and makes great leftovers!  Trust me, it's worth it!!


Vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas


Enchilada Sauce:
 
1 T. Vegetable Broth
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced 
1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced
1-2 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
1 1/2 T. Cumin
1 1/2 T. Chili Powder
8 oz. Tomato Sauce
3/4 Cup water
 
In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat vegetable broth.  Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno pepper.  Sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add seasoning and chipotle pepper(s).  Add water and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.  Cook on medium, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.

Enchilada Filling:  
 
2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1-2 T. Vegetable Broth
1 Firm Tofu, drained and loosely crumbled (
10-12 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 Onion, diced
1 Orange Bell Pepper, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Can Green Chilies
1 Cup Chopped Cilantro
1 1/2 T. Cumin
2 T. Chili Powder
2 T. Soy Sauce
 
Heat oven to 435 degrees and line cooking sheet with parchment paper.  Evenly spread out diced up sweet potatoes and roast for 35 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable broth.  Add crumbled tofu and seasoning and cook, stirring frequently any liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
 
Add onion, orange bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno.  Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.  Add roasted sweet potatoes, green chilies, cilantro and soy sauce.  Cook for 10 minutes.
In a casserole dish large enough to hold the enchiladas in one layer, add about 1/3 of the sauce to coat the bottom of the dish.  On a clean work surface, place tortillas and spread a few spoons of the filling and roll the tortilla tightly.  Place seam side down in the casserole dish over the sauce.  Repeat with the remaining filling.  Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining filling.  Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Once done, let cool 5-10 minutes.  Enjoy with black beans on the side!
 
Ready for Fall
I have slowly started putting away summer clothing items.  Even with it being in the 90's here I am hopeful the Fall cooler weather will get here. Please get here!!  Since losing a lot of weight guess who is in need of new Fall clothing?!?  YES, ME!! I figured for my birthday this weekend I wanted to do a little shopping.  I want to live in big sweaters and leggings!!!  I started with this cute sweater, light weight perfect for AZ Fall and has some bling! 
 
My other Fall change - my hair. Going in Saturday (my birthday) to have some length taken off and going for a darker red.  I am a true red head, but as I am getting older I feel like the red is not as bright as it use to be, so having some fun with it.  Heck who cares, it's fun and I love it!  Seems the older I have gotten the less I really care about what others think.  When I am 80 years-old I am coloring it bring orange and drinking martinis all day long, I promise you that!!
 
I have cleaned up my diet a lot this week and feeling so much better.  Amazing how processed food (vegan or not) and alcohol can really bring your mood down.  Have you found this to be true? Not back at the gym, but have started walking again!  Working on getting Prada to be able to walk farther and then want to see how she does jogging with me. One day at a time and one step at a time.  That's all you can do....oh, and smile while doing it!  :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)