Monday, February 9, 2015

cooking up a vegan storm!

What a GREAT weekend!  Lots of healthy eating, NO drinking, exercised and down 3.2 lbs!!  Woohoo!!

Let's start by getting to the good stuff - eating and recipes!!  Saturday morning I was excited to whip out my dehydrator and make some yummy vegan Onion & Jalapeno Raw Bread!  Making raw bread is really easy, the hardest part is just the wait time while it's cooking...oh, how it makes you house smell sooooo yummy!  Trust me, it's worth the wait!!

Onion & Jalapeno Raw Bread


Ingredients
2 medium zucchini, shredded
1 large carrot, shredded
1 large onions, shredded in a food processor
1 jalapeno, diced
1-2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
Mix together the veggies, water, and soy sauce in a bowl. Add the ground flaxseed and sunflower seeds, mix to combine (add more water if needed). Spread a thick layer of the mixture evenly on teflex sheets. Dehydrate at 145F for 1 hour and then turn the temperature down to 115F and continue dehydrating for 6-8 hours, flipping over to the mesh screen halfway through. Use a pizza cutter to cut into pieces and enjoy!

Sunday for lunch we enjoyed the raw onion & Jalapeno bread with a little homemade hummus, spinach, cucumber and tomato...OMG so yummy!!

While my raw bread was in the dehydrator on Saturday I had been dying to try a recipe I have seen all over Pintrest.  I just changed it up a little to cut out the sugar (or honey) that was used in all of the recipes.  I have to say I use to eat ruby grapefruit all of the time while growing up since we had a HUGE tree in our backyard...however, I normally put TONS of sugar on it lol!  One thing I never tried was heating up the grapefruit, wow was I missing out!  This was a quick, easy and nice warm breakfast!  A must try!

Broiled Grapefruit


Ingredients
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit, sliced in half
1 Banana, sliced
Agave, drizzle
Cinnamon

Directions
Score your grapefruit pieces then place your sliced grapefruit onto a cooking sheet. Top with sliced banana.  Lightly drizzle agave over and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Place under your broiler and broil for about 10 minutes.  Watch carefully as cooking time may vary and bananas can burn quickly.
Once done place in bowl and enjoy!

The bananas got a little done, made the house smell like melted marshmallows lol!  I wasn't complaining, smelt awesome!

One more "great way to start your day" recipe, I'm making myself extremely hungry right now! We love going up to our local farmers market on Saturday mornings when our favorite vegan food truck is there.  One of their best dishes is their Breakfast Quinoa Bowl.  There is so much goodness in that bowl that it kick starts your day off right!  It's a fun easy meal that you can make at home too!

Breakfast Quinoa Bowl



Ingredients
1/2 cup Quinoa
1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk (or Coconut Milk)
pinch of salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger
1 Apple, diced
1 Banana, diced
1/2 cup Blueberries
1 tbsp Peanut Butter (per bowl)
Cinnamon
Ginger

Directions
In a medium sauce pan add your quinoa (rinsed first) and almond milk.  Add a pinch of salt, bring to a boil and reduce heat once boiling to low.  Cook for 15-20 minutes, until light and fluffy.  Remove from heat and scoop into bowls (this can make 2-4 bowls depending on how much you want).  Add in sliced fruit, peanut butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and ginger.  Add a splash of almond milk if needed.  Enjoy!

Of course you can use any fruit in your Breakfast Quinoa Bowl.  :) 

I will share a few more recipes from the weekend later this week. Over all, such a great weekend! The weather here in Arizona was beyond amazing.  We even cleaned up the bikes yesterday and rode a little over 8 miles!  I was so sore from running Saturday morning I was worried my husband would turn around and find me passed out in the street lol.  Even just a few days back into clean eating and no drinking has lifted this fog I have felt looming over me.  I feel so much happier!  It's amazing how loving your body will only make your body love you right back!  So, on to a positive, healthy week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)