Thursday, July 11, 2013

diet vs. lifestyle

March 24, 2013 was THE day for me. On that day I knew it was time for a lifestyle change. Diets don't work for me, they are a temporary fix and I knew the facts...I wasn't stupid. I knew in my heart that on this day I needed to live a vegan lifestyle.  I needed to cut out processed food. I needed to quit drinking.  I needed to workout.  I wasn't one of those people who suffered a major heart attack and received that wake up call.  No, I was at a yoga event for our Cavalier rescue in a sea of older HEALTY looking women.  This is how I wanted to live.  Look and feel amazing.  Not tired and sluggish each day that I woke.

My husband and I have tested the vegan waters before and did great, but I never made that 100% commitment.  After more research and knowing that not only was it a great way to eat, but it was the ethical thing to do for animal rights as well.  Thanks to Vegucated I will FOREVER have the image of young male chicks being thrown into a grinder only because they were born the wrong sex...or maybe that is better than the life a female chick goes on to live, I don't know.  I just know that things really need to change.  I am ready in my life to make that 100% commitment.  When I started losing weight I actually had someone I know tell me, "yeah, but when you lose your weight you'll be back to your normal eating and off that vegan diet."  Excuse me?  I don't look at "Vegan" as a "Diet" this is how I want to commit to eating for he rest of my life!  I want to feel this great the rest of my life!
 

When I look at diet vs. lifestyle - this is how I see it:

Diet
  • Restrictive (oh, that chocolate cake I want you soooooo bad!)
  • End date - come on, you always break your diet before you get to the goal
  • HAVING to workout (maybe that extra workout and I can sneak in that cake!)
  • Restrictive...did I say that already? Ugh, now binge eating...
  • Just having to use that "diet" word makes me unhappy
  • Sooo restrictive!!
Lifestyle
  • Pass on the chocolate cake, I don't eat the ingredients in there. BUT I will make you one heck of a natural vegan chocolate cake!!
  • Everyday I eat whole natural foods, and have way passed my weight loss goal
  • Still don't LOVE working out, but I have found running easier, my recover time quicker and the abundant amount of energy I have after - amazing!
  • Cooking healthy and whole means TONS of great ideas, some days I feel like all I do is eat!
  • Proud to say I'm Vegan!  Heck my medical numbers don't lie, I'm doing something right here.
  • Dang, too many ideas for dinner tonight...what to make??
I know that changing your way of life and eating vegan or plant-strong may not be an easy change for everyone.  I was lucky in the fact that I never really liked dairy or meat. Looking back we did it in steps when we were first testing the waters - we gave up red meat, then chicken, then diary, eggs and finally cheese. We are still cutting things out as we go, last was oil.  As you're going along you'll find it easier and easier to remove items from your life.

For myself, I am still learning the true meaning of being vegan and living that lifestyle, but what works best for me. I think my co-workers are waiting for me to start growing my armpit hair out and quit showering or something lol. I still want to be "me" just a wiser and healthier "me".  One day at a time right?

2 comments:

  1. Great entry!

    Thanks for visiting my blog www.thisvegangirl.com!

    I feel like ever since I started my blog, I've been seeing people whom Vegucated has converted as well. It's truly a great documentary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not vegan and probably won't ever go that route, but I love the blog and many of the ideas and recipies can be enjoyed by anyone even if they just want to cut down on their meat intake. I was reading my August 2013 issue of Food & Wine magazine and they have a bunch of vegan recipes that you should check out. They sounded yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)