Thursday, July 25, 2013

spicy tofu quinoa lettuce wraps

I have also been so excited seeing photos of the gals who have purchased my online tee shirts and wearing them!!  I feel like I have somewhat gotten back to my old designing roots.

Need to get back into my running.  This muggy weather, even inside the gym, just doesn't sit well with me. I will also be getting a tattoo in honor of my dog Avery who passed away one week ago today....and, it's going on my foot (appointment is tomorrow!!).  So, no running shoes for awhile.  I have plenty of equipment to workout at home with while barefoot, just need to take that tattooed foot and kick myself in the behind with it!! 
Yesterday I picked up Avery's remains along with a beautiful paw print impression they did for me. My plan this weekend is to put together a lovey shadowbox of memories to hang on our family photo wall.

Was a little surprised with myself that I was so motivated to make dinner last night, as I was just cooking for myself.  I'll admit, I love making a mess in the kitchen.  The more dirty dishes there are, the better!  Last night I was in slice-dice-and cook it up mode!!


Spicy Tofu Quinoa Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients
1 Extra Firm Tofu, pressed and drained
1 T. Olive Oil
1 Cup Quinoa
2 Cups Water
1 Onion, diced
1 Red Pepper, diced
2/3 Cup Celery, diced
2/3 Cup Carrots, sliced
1 T. Red Pepper Flakes
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
15.5 oz. Can Black Beans, drained
2/3 Cup Raw Cashews
Lettuce of your choice for wraps

Sauce
1/2 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Sriracha
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 teaspoon Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Start by brining the 2 cups water to a boil and adding quinoa.  Place lid on top, and let simmer until done 15-20 minutes.  Remove from heat and fluff with a fork once done.

Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and sit aside.

After the tofu has been drained and pressed, slice long way about 1/4" thick.  In large skillet add 1 T. of olive oil and heat on med-high.  Add tofu slices and cover with a lid for 8 minutes.  Let tofu get really hot sizzle in the olive oil.  Remove lid carefully straight up and flip tofu over and cook for another 5-8 minutes.  The goal is to brown and crisp nicely on both sides.  Once done remove tofu and place on cutting board or plate.  Add a tablespoon or two of vegetable broth to skillet and add onion, red pepper, celery, carrots, red pepper flakes, cumin, garlic powder and cook until veggies are tender about 5-8 minutes. Cut cooked tofu into little bite size pieces and add to veggie mix along with sauce.  Cook another 2 minutes and then add beans, cashews and cooked quinoa.  Mixing all together well (add more Sriracha to make spicy if needed).  Remove from heat and serve with lettuce or by it's self.

Enjoy - Yum!!

2 comments:

  1. That is really awesome that they did Avery's footprint for you. I have one of my cat I did when he was like a year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...Katherine. It's so hard to lose pets. They are such a big part of the family. This sounds delicious! When we get off the six weeks of ETL, I'll definitely try this. Also, I got my tshirts today!!! I love them. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)