Monday, July 22, 2013

quinoa summer salad & getting back to life

I have been missing from my blog the last few days.  Those of you who follow me on Facebook know that on Thursday I unexpectedly lost my handsome 5 year-old Cavalier, Avery.  It was very sudden and I am slowly dealing with having to let him go.  Very thankful to my husband who took great care of me this weekend.  I have to thank Avery for coming into my life.  He was my first Cavalier and without him I would have never gotten involved with the Cavalier Rescue Foundation and help save so many Cavaliers. Avery was the perfect Cavalier and could never be replaced. I was blessed to have him in my life, even if only for five short years.

So, today I am playing catch up.

Giveaway!
Yes, shortly I will be doing my first blog giveaway!  So exciting, as it will be something from one of my favorite jewelry makers!!  This is being custom made just for us.  Stay tuned for updates!!

Etsy Store Orders
All orders placed last week are shipping today!  If you have not checked out my online store, please stop by and take a look around!

Quinoa Summer Salad


Ingredients
1 C. Dry Quinoa
1 C. Water or Vegetable Broth
1 Avocado, diced
1 Cucumber, peeled and diced
3 Kumatos (or regular tomatoes), diced
1 Red Onion, diced
2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 T. Cilantro
1 Can Chick Peas, drained
1 Small Can Green Chilies
1 Small Can sliced Black Olives
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use Mrs. Dash)
1/4 C. Roasted Pepitas (optional)

In a large sauce pan, bring to broil the water (or vegetable broth) and add quinoa.  Simmer for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is light and fluffy.  Remove from heat to cool.

In a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients and toss to coat with spices.  Carefully mix in the cooked quinoa, cover and chill.

Making this a short post today, but have some other great and tasty recipes coming this week!!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Avery. That is really rough. Welcome back. Can't wait to hear about the etsy giveaway. Love love love the vegan tattoo. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your little dog - 5 is so young, how heartbreaking!! They are members of the family. When I lost my beloved cocker spaniel, I felt like the empty, broken spot in my heart would never heal. I still miss the little 'rodent'. :-( ((Hugs)).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)