Tuesday, July 2, 2013

raw apple pie

I have been trying to stay away from desserts, even healthy ones, as I have been working on my weight loss.  For me they are such a trigger food and can lead to my overeating. However, Sunday I was dying to try a recipe I found on The Vegan Pact! This really was a very easy pie to make, and my husband said the crust was way better than any non-vegan crust he has had before.  :)



Raw Apple Pie with Coconut Almond Crust
From: The Vegan Pact

Crust
1 1/4 cup raw almonds
1 1/4 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup dates
2 tbsp liquid sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup)
1 tbsp olive oil

Filling
5 apples, peeled and sliced thin (use whatever you’d like-we used Granny Smith)
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup dates, soaked for one hour
1 orange, peeled and seeded
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

  • For the crust, pulse almonds and coconut in a food processor until fine
  • Add oil, dates and liquid sweetener and continue pulsing until the mix is moist and crumbly
  • Push crust evenly into a 9 inch pie dish, reserving about 1/2 cup of the crust mixture for topping
  • For the filling, blend the one chopped apple, soaked dates, orange, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg  in a blender until smooth and creamy (add a little water if it’s too thick)
  • Toss blended mix with sliced apples and layer into pie dish
  • Top with reserved crust mix and refrigerate before serving
This was really a very easy recipe and perfect for the hot summer days!  I love that there is NO flour, eggs or sugar in the recipe.  I did add about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries to my filling, but you could use raisins as well.  AND I don't feel as guilty eating it for breakfast at work!  LOL!

Other cooking this past weekend was an oil free roasted red pepper & green chili hummus.  You could make this less the green chilies, but we like a little kick in our food.  If you have not tired roasting your own red peppers I suggest you try (see how under recipe), it is really EASY to do.

Oil Free Roasted Red Pepper & Green Chili Hummus
Ingredients

2 15.5 Cans of Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans)

3 whole red bell peppers (substitute about 1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers)
2 T. Garlic (I use canned)
7 oz. Diced Green Chilies
1 T. Soy Sauce (low sodium)
1 T. Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Vegetable Broth (or water)  as needed

Using a Vitmix or food processor, add drained chick peas, garlic, green chilies, roasted red peppers (save about 1/4 cup to top your hummus with), soy sauce, cumin, Mrs. Dash and blend.  Add vegetable broth (or water) as needed to make smooth.  Top hummus with the reserved 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers.  Refrigerate for two hours. 


How to Roast Peppers
Place your oven rack so that it is about 5 inches from the broiler. Turn oven broiler on high. Remove core of peppers, cut into large flat pieces and clean. Place pepper pieces, skin-side up, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Broil 5 to 10 minutes until the peppers skin has charred (and I mean, let it get good and black).  You might need to turn your vents on if they start to smoke a bit, don't leave unattended while roasting. Once they are good and done, remove from oven and let cool just for a couple of minutes.  Place peppers in a resealable plastic bag, seal then wait 10 to 15 minutes until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel away the charred pepper skin and discard.  That easy!
 
I still need to share the Eggplant Pesto Pizza's we did the other day, but I think that will have to wait as I am now starving to death after sharing these two recipes!!  LOL!

New Journal
With the start of July and the end of my weight loss challenge at work, yesterday was the first day I wrote in my new journal.  Amazing how a bunch of blank pages can be so intimidating.  I loved my other journal - seeing it full and messy looking!  I pushed past it yesterday and made my first entry and... I kind of liked it.  That fresh page, the thought of where I will be once I fill this journal, it is kind of exciting. Have you tried journaling? What do you like to include in your journal?



1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)