Monday, July 1, 2013

vegan green chili casserole & weight loss challenge comes to and end!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I had nothing major planned, but it kind of turned into a weekend of non-stop cooking! (I will share my new recipes in a couple individual post!)

This is what happens when you bring home Green Salsa Verdi left over from the company lunch, but have limited supplies on hand at home.  Originally they were going to be enchiladas, but those are hard to make with the small little tortillas.  So, I opted for a casserole!  This turned out amazing and was even BETTER the next day!

Vegan Green Chili Casserole
Original recipe from The Scattered Cook



Ingredients

15.25 oz. Can of Black Beans low sodium, drained and rinsed
15.25 oz. Can of Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Cup sliced Mushrooms
2 T. Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup diced Green Chilies
1 T. Garlic Powder
1 T. Cumin
2 Cups of Spinach
1 Jar Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
12 Small Whole Wheat Tortillas

Heat vegetable broth (add more as need while cooking) and begin by sautéing onion and mushrooms. When the onion and mushrooms are golden and tender, mix in the black beans and pinto bean and heat for a couple more minutes.  Add green chilies, garlic powder, cumin and spinach and remove the pan from heat as soon as spinach starts to soften.  Using a 11 x 14 pan lightly spray the bottom with oil and lay 6 of the small tortillas to cover.  Spread bean mixture on top of the tortillas and add another layer of small tortillas to cover.  Pour green chili enchilada sauce over top to cover.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until hot.

I served mine with a side of corn chips (great for scooping up the beans from the casserole).  Both J and I couldn't get enough, two thumbs up on this one!!

Hitting My Goal!

Saturday while hitting my favorite little boutique shop on Main Street, I bought the unbelievable - Junior size NINE capris!! AND they have bling LOTS of bling!! This is the downfall of losing so much weight - I way over shop!  LOL!

When starting our weight loss challenge at work my main goal of dropping 30 lbs. was to not only fit into some cool junior bling capris, but fit in my favorite Old Navy boyfriend jeans. Today was our last day of the challenge.  On March 25th I weighed in at 176.2 today 146.2 on the penny 30 lbs. lost!!  Not only did I win overall and the jackpot, but I wore my Old Navy jeans to work!! The start of the challenge also marked my true commitment to being Vegan and taking 100% control of my health and the life style I wanted to live. I know that this not only works for J and I, but it is the right commitment for us to make.

I look forward to keeping up the hard work (if you want to call it hard, I've enjoyed it) and meeting my goal of running a 5k this year!

Recipes coming soon - Vegan Raw Apple Pie, Eggplant Pesto Pizza and Oil Free Red Pepper/Green Chili Hummus!!  Makes me hungry just thinking about it!!


3 comments:

  1. you rock!!!! Today is July 1st and I am starting today! I too need to drop about 30 lbs. but I'm doing it with a huge smile on my face...because it's about me and being healthy. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You CAN do it Susan! Remember to enjoy yourself while doing it, makes it so much easier!

      Delete
  2. Way to go!! Congrats! You look fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration & for sharing/ :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)