Monday, July 15, 2013

roasted garlic & olive hummus - tee shirts for sale soon!

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I don't think I left the kitchen this weekend, but I enjoyed every yummy item I whipped up!!  I made everything from a wonderful tofu scramble to roasted garlic & olive hummus!  My kitchen was a rockin' that's for sure!!

Friday night I finally got my "Vegan" tattoo (you can kind of see on my right arm)!!  I am so in love with the design that I had it printed on a tee shirt at work.  My shirt went over so well on Facebook that YES I will be adding an online store THIS week!!  I will be adding the design in different style/colors of tee shirts and also on iPhone covers as well!  Check back often for updates as to when the store is open and live!  Please also let me know if you have ideas you would like to see it printed on as well.  Thanks to my job I can offer lots of great options!! I wore mine Sunday, makes me so happy!

Now on to great food!!  This hummus has TONS of flavor.  You can add more/less of the roasted garlic and olives to fit your taste.  This had to be the most flavorful hummus I have ever made!  You will also find my cracker recipe below that are oil free as well.  To roast your own garlic check out the Pioneer Woman for directions, very easy to do!  I roasted up a bunch to use in a few other recipes as well.

Roasted Garlic & Olive Hummus (oil free)



Ingredients

2 15.5 Cans of Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed
2 Roasted Garlic Cloves
1 T. Soy Sauce (low sodium)
1 Cup Kalamata Olives (pitted, more or less to your taste)

3 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Red Pepper Flakes
1 T. Cumin
 Vegetable Broth (or water)  as needed

Using a Vitmix or food processor, add drained chick peas, roasted garlic, soy sauce, kalamata olives, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, cumin and blend.  Add vegetable broth (or water) as needed to make smooth.  Top with a few olives for garnish. Refrigerate for two hours. 

Flaxseed & Whole Wheat Crackers (oil free)
Ingredients

1 15.5 Can of Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed
1/4 C. Raw Almonds
1/4 C. Flaxseeds
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Water (or as needed

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In food processer add drained chick peas and pulse until they have all been chopped up.  Transfer to large mixing bowl.  Next add raw almonds (or what ever other nuts/seeds you'd like to use) and pulse until chopped but not flour like.  Add to chick peas and mix.  Add flaxseeds, garlic powder and whole wheat flour.  Mix and start adding water until dough like but not over sticky.  Use hands and form into ball. Kneed lightly on floured surface.  Roll out onto parchment paper (you can divide dough in half for thinner crackers or use all and make thicker like a pita almost).  I like mine on the thicker side.  Transfer parchment paper and dough onto cookie sheet.  Using a knife score dough where the crackers will be cut (this will make cutting much easier) and then pierce each cracker with a fork.  Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on thickness.  Cook until edges are browned.  Let cool before cutting.  I use a pizza cutter to cut along the scored lines. Store in air tight container.


When the crackers cool they do become softer and more pita like, but we love them!  Most times we finish them off before they even cool!

Remember to check back this week for the online store update and I am hoping to offer my first GIVE AWAY as well!!

3 comments:

  1. To ease our transition, I have to admit that so far I'm relying on ready made products. I checked the label on the hummus I bought as per Engine 2 diet instructions - wow, it has a A LOT of oil. So, perfect timing for these recipes! Thank you!! (...would you happen to have one for making "meat" crumbles or whatever you call the pseudo ground beef?) Love your t-shirt & tattoo too. - Kathy B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy - Have you used Tempeh yet? We love it and crumbled up it gives the look and taste of meat. It's one of those you wouldn't eat by itself, but cooked with spices it's much like tofu and soaks up the flavor. I also used chopped up mushrooms a lot, as it gives that "meat" look. Hope that helps some! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't found tempeh yet, my local store carries all different kinds of tofu but not tempeh - will have to go have a look at Planet Organic or one of the other health food type grocery stores. I see the ground "meat" I bought has carrageenan in it. Another reason to find something else & fast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)