Monday, August 5, 2013

leftovers & weekend update

Sorry, missing in action a bit this weekend.

Quick update of what this redhead has been up to and a great recipe for those breakfast leftovers! My boy child is back in the cellular world again! The poor child busted the crap out of his old phone and it then got to the point he couldn't call out on it and I couldn't call him.  So, he saved up and now owns a pretty cool HTC One!  He was my dinner date....and spent more time on he phone than chatting with his mother.

Friday the boy child was also nice enough to hit the grocery store with me.  The plan that evening was to finish re-boxing up my den and have it ready for carpet to be pulled out.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  LOL!

Saturday was more productive.  Finally got everything cleaned up (still unable to find the power cord for the printer, guess I'll just be buying a new one). The den is now ready to have carpet removed and baseboards too.  Next will be priming the walls.  Once done the room will be a dog room/small office/sewing room.  We will be painting the floors like we did in our Great Room, so much cleaner and easier with dogs.  Really want the room to have a fun funky feel to it.

I have started on Saturday mornings making a HUGE tofu chorizo southwestern scramble for breakfast.  This way I have leftovers for Sunday and none of the work!!  Win-win!!

Chorizo Southwestern Tofu Scramble


Ingredients

12 oz. Tofu Extra Firm (pressed)
teaspoons ground Turmeric
2 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
1 Small Red Onion
Several Peppers (I like red, orange and yellow)

4-6 Small Red Potatoes, cooked and diced
Vegan Chorizo
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder                                            
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup Sliced Jalapenos

14.5 oz. Can Black Beans, drained
2 Tomatoes Diced
1 Avocado (for topping)                                           
Salsa (for topping)   

Preparation

Wrap tofu in several layers of paper towels (to absorb liquid) and press for about 10 minutes with something heavy (some day I will have a Tofu Press!!).  Place tofu in a bowl and using a fork mash to look like eggs.  Add Turmeric and 2 tablespoons of water and mix.  This will give the tofu a yellow look (and will stain, so be careful!).


Clean and cook red potatoes in microwave for 5-8 minutes until fully cooked.  Once cooled, dice.

Heat vegetable broth or water in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and peppers; cook, stirring often until they soften 3-5 minutes.  Stir in garlic powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add vegan chorizo, black beans, jalapenos, diced cooked red potatoes and tofu mixture (add more vegetable broth if needed).  Toss all together until warm and remove from heat.  Top with avocado and salsa.

This normally makes 3-4 servings. I will put the leftovers in the fridge for the next day and they warm up great!

Okay, so now it's Sunday and you already has something else planned for breakfast - what can you do with that chorizo southwestern tofu scramble leftovers??

Taquitos! Yep, lets get to work!

Chorizo Southwestern Tofu Taquitos


Ingredients
Left over tofu scramble from above
12 small Corn or Flour Tortillas
5 Red Potatoes, cooked and mashed

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  I wanted more potatoes added to my mix, so clean and cook red potatoes in microwave for 5-8 minutes until fully cooked.  Once cooled, mash.  Mix in with left over tofu scramble.  Using small tortillas, spoon mixture in the middle of the tortilla and wrap.  Use toothpicks to secure closed and place on baking sheet.  Fill all of your tortillas until mixture is gone.  Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray and place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden.  Once cool, remove toothpicks and enjoy! You can freeze leftovers as well for a quick and easy snack or lunch!

Sunday, was another busy day.  Marking things off of my DIY to do list!  Avery's memory box is finished and up on the wall. Very happy with how it turned out!

I even got some paint done on the dog bed that I am working on! Hoping to have everything but the front done by the end of this week.  I feel like my mind has been moving at 100 miles an hour!  Now - if I could get my body to do the same.  Ugh.  My weight has been moving up a bit.  Not bad, but not good.  My "Avery" tattoo on my foot his slowly healing and then it's back to the gym for me!

See, I eat vegan - no issue with that.  My problem vegan "junk food!" like Vegan Banana Nut Bread...OMG! As I am painting and working away (oh, and enjoying Breaking Bad on my tablet) I eat.  Snack. Eat. Whatever, just shouldn't be doing it!  Vegan Diet Gods, give me strength!!  LOL!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment...only if it's nice! ;)